Thursday, January 19, 2006

Furman: Contender or Pretender?

Is Furman a legtimate threat this year in the SoCon? At this point, I would say they are. They upset Davidson, and then turned around and beat Georgia Southern on the road. GSU had a win streak of their own going at the time.

Random commentary: Furman has not really had a good team in at least 20 years, to the best of my recollection. The last good team they had was some time in the early-mid 80s, when I was a Furman fan (in high school in Greenville....I used to go to just about every Furman home game, and a few away games, too). They had a couple of guys named George Singleton and Mel Daniel that were very good (they were both drafted by NBA teams). Of course, those two guys are now in their mid 40s. But I digress.

Anyway, I have no doubt that Davidson is a better team than Furman, despite the loss last Saturday. DC will prove it over the course of the season.

No comments: