Saturday, February 24, 2007

Steph talks about his dad's influence

Dad gives his son a shot
• STEPHEN CURRY In his own words
As told to Staff Writer David Perlmutt

Stephen (pronounced Ste-fen) Curry was a baby when he and his family arrived in Charlotte in 1988. His father, Dell, was an original Charlotte Hornet and one of the NBA's finest 3-point shooters ever. Growing up, Stephen and brother Seth were always lofting shots at a driveway goal. Now 18, Stephen is a freshman guard at Davidson College, averaging 20.7 points per game. Recently, ESPN's Jay Bilas of Charlotte called him one of the 10 best freshmen in the country.

My dad told us when we were young that whatever sport we chose, he'd support us. Deep down, I know he wanted me to play basketball.

As kids, we had a regulation goal and a little goal that we could dunk on. Dad didn't like us shooting on that little goal.

He wasn't always outside shooting with us -- but I know he was watching. Occasionally, he'd come out for some one-on-one, or a game of H-O-R-S-E. I never beat him, but I came close a couple of times.

He coached my AAU teams but left it to me to improve my game. Except one summer, he tried to teach me to shoot a different way. I was short when I started playing varsity in high school. I shot from my waist. He taught me to shoot it above my head so I didn't get blocked.

My grandmother -- Dad's mom -- says she can see his shot in me.

Dad and my mom (Sonya) stressed education and cautioned us not to make basketball a first priority. They threatened to take away basketball if we slacked off from school.

That's why I chose Davidson. I'm working towards the NBA, but when I graduate I will have more of a chance for success.

No comments: