• Davidson had to play most of the first half without guard Stephen Curry, who sat out after getting hit in the mouth. He had seven points before leaving with 10 minutes left.
• The Citadel started five freshmen, but the Bulldogs look more promising than they did last season. The Citadel hit 60 percent from the field in the first half, and made 7-of-10 3-pointers.
• Curry's injury gave Brendan McKillop more playing time, but the freshman is still adjusting to the speed of the college game. • Davidson reserve guard Bryant Barr made three 3-pointers in the first half, and rarely misses when he shoots in rhythm.
• Davidson's offense can be one of the most productive in the country, but that won't matter unless the Wildcats defend better. Take away victories against Division III Emory and N.C. Central -- in its first year of Division I play -- and Davidson is allowing 47 percent shooting from the field and 44 percent on 3-pointers.
• Davidson point guard Jason Richards is making less than 60 percent of his free throws, not good for a point guard who has the ball in pressure situations.