Saturday, July 29, 2006

Retrospective: 1967...from the days of Lefty










Victories over Wake Forest, Virginia, St. Joseph's and West Virginia highlight this season. A loss in the SoCon finals (I think it was the finals) ended the season. If I'm not mistaken, during this era, only the conference tournament champion went to the NCAA tournament.....regular season was meaningless to the NCAA tournament committee. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.)

Those are some sweet short-shorts they wore back then, weren't they? Also, did they actually have cheerleaders in 1967? There were no women admitted at that time. Were they Queens College students or am I just way off base thinking that the picture above is of Davidson cheerleaders?

On a sidenote, the 1967 Quips & Cranks is certainly the strangest yearbook I've seen, but probably not surprising coming from 1967. If you ever get to see this yearbook, you'll understand what I mean.

Click on the picture to see a larger version.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes they were Queens girls.

Yes only the conference champ went to the NCAA. I think in that year there were 16 to 24 teams in the tourney. (They started at 16 and kept adding thru the years.)