Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Just got back from Davidson

I had an open schedule at the office today, so I drove up to Davidson today to join in the send-off for the team. I was not able to be in Raleigh, and I can't go to Detroit, but I still want to be a part of this as much as I can. Man, I am glad I went up there today. It was great.

I got there over an hour early, so that I could mill around campus. I got there, and - for no particular reason - parked on Concord Road in front of the McKillops' house (I think it's their house). There was the usual Davidson flag out front, and a big painted bedsheet laid over their shrubs in front with "Congrats Cats!" written on it. There were a few other banners/bedsheets hanging on campus with "Go Cats!" and other similar things on them.

No crowd had gathered yet, so I walked past the football field down to Baker. There is still a bulldog in the mouth of the Wildcat in front of Baker. If I'm not mistaken, it's been there for several days. I walked right inside and was thrilled to find the team in the middle of practice. There were a few reporters and cameramen sitting in the red seats, waiting on practice to finish so they could interview some of the guys. Kevin Cary did talk to a number of players, too, but I digress.

I took a seat and enjoyed the heck out of watching the guys run through drills. Getting to see the guys on the floor of Baker for the last time before they head to play Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen was quite a privilege.

After they finished practice, I spoke to Steph, Thomas & Bryant and wished them all well. They seem loose. I also spoke at length with Matt Matheny, with whom I played football at Davidson. It's great that, despite the success of this season and the magnitude of the upcoming Sweet Sixteen game, the team practice was open and the guys were just as accessible as always.

I took a few photos, and here are a couple. One is the guys running a drill, and the other is the final team huddle on the floor of Baker before departing for the Sweet Sixteen. I also got to the send-off gathering next to the football field and library. There were about 1,000 or so people there to wave at the bus as the team left campus for their flight to Detroit.

These are exciting times on campus.

No comments: